View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 08:36 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Bad analogy. Shuttle, like everything NASA, was budget constrained and under political pressure to perform. The operation of the system degraded into a pork-barrel jobs program when it really needed to stay in permanent test-pilot mode.

100% of shuttle fatalities were under circumstances where management was told there was a problem, knew exactly what the problem was, and pressed on with operations anyway.

With a vaccine, the development phase is NOT budget constrained, and once the test-pilot phase is over, it's pretty easy to do sustained, indefinite routine operations (ex flu vaccine).
1. EVERYTHING is budget constrained.
2. Management knows the timeframe is unrealistic, they have always known the timeframe was unrealistic. They got told to shut up and color. They took the money and they are trying to color.
3. Once the test-pilot phase is over, the HARD part begins. Ask anyone who has ever been involved in a mass immunization program.

Seriously, I wish I could share your optimism, but historically it’s unrealistic. Not that many changes in technology have occurred in the last decade and I see no evidence that Homo Sapiens isn’t just as stubborn as ever.