View Single Post
Old 11-13-2020, 11:15 AM
nene
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
I'm probably against broken promises as much as the next guy. But I'll also say that the benefits and perks I netted over a full military career far exceed those that were on the table when I signed up in the 90s. I'll definitely take what we evolved to over what I thought I'd get for 20 years of service.

A friend's daughter recently used his transferred GI benefits toward five years (four undergrad, one grad) of college, out of state to the University of Michigan. He figures he got $350k out of that benefit alone... although he's surely still ticked off about rising Tricare premiums.
Not to diminish the Post 9-11 GI Bill, but it seems your buddy may have had a bit of bravado. It's worth 36months of tuition (which is 4yrs taking summers off, or three straight years)/E5 BAH at the highest instate rate only or $25K/yr. Some colleges will waive the out of state tuition under the "yellow ribbon provision" but that is their choice to attract veterans from out of state. Again, a very generous benefit meant to attract highly qualified youth into the military in an all-volunteer force. I guess if/when we start just forgiving $50K of student debt per person throughout the country for everyone, then it'll just be easier to go straight to school without serving first.

BTW, starting Tricare Standard premiums is step one, just give it awhile and it will be the same as every other insurance premium.