View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 04:53 AM
CX500T
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: NYC 7ERA

Originally Posted by TED74 View Post
I'm probably against broken promises as much as the next guy. But I'll also say that the benefits and perks I netted over a full military career far exceed those that were on the table when I signed up in the 90s. I'll definitely take what we evolved to over what I thought I'd get for 20 years of service.

A friend's daughter recently used his transferred GI benefits toward five years (four undergrad, one grad) of college, out of state to the University of Michigan. He figures he got $350k out of that benefit alone... although he's surely still ticked off about rising Tricare premiums.
GI Transferrability has generally been a good thing.. What has annoyed me about it, is that by the time having kids was on the table, I couldn't transfer benefits. They won't let you add on "for future children' and since they allowed transfer for 6 years of service, I continuously have been within the "too close to High Year Tenure" to transfer.

Even if I promoted NOW (like POTUS walked into my unit right now, and said BOOM, you are a O5, I'm still within 6 years of mando retirement for Commander)

I think "I have earned 36 months of benefits, I should be able to use them however and for whoever I want"

I have friends who are dual mil, no kids, unable to have kids. But they can't use it to put their niece they raised through college.