View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 07:38 AM
Glenn Would
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

Not advice, but my opinion, and what I would do if I were in your shoes. And for perspective, I was in recruiting at my regional for a few years.

Flight instructing is a very valuable experience for any professional pilot. And the skills you master there are vital building blocks for the rest of your career, no matter how long or short it may be. But from my experience, flying in a commercial operation, especially as a PIC, will prepare you for 121 or good corporate jobs much better. Regardless of whether it’s a jet, turboprop, or even an aircraft requiring a type rating, the fact is you’re flying a higher-performance aircraft, in and out of many more airports and weather conditions than your 172 can fly in, flying the aircraft all the way to limitations, with constant pressure from the boss to move the passengers/cargo from A to B. That is experience you just don’t get while flight instructing. And from my experience, I’ve seen people transition much easier to a jet if they had that 135 commercial (especially PIC) experience.

I’m not sure how much of a pay cut you would be taking by going to this 135 job. But if you and your family can live with it for two years, are ok with the schedule and the number of days you’ll be gone, and especially if your current job will let you come back if things didn’t work out here, I would definitely take the 135 job. Like I said, the experience you will get there will be way more valuable, and absolutely will make you much more competitive when the hiring starts again.

Again, my opinion, based on my experience. However, at the end of the day, you need to do what’s best for you and your family. If the pay cut or schedule is just too much, there’s nothing wrong with staying put for the time being. And if they ask you why you didn’t progress in your flying when you had the opportunity to, doing what was best for your family is a perfectly acceptable answer in an interview.