View Single Post
Old 11-15-2020, 01:05 PM
VegasChris
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Same kind of career switch. I am only about 10 years into my firefighting career. I was planning on taking the leap and jumping into a regional as soon as I hit my R-ATP minimums. Now I am at the minimums with a CJO and a cancelled class date. When they call I will be ready to go to training- no way to figure out how many "furloughed from other airline" pilots will jump in front of me in line- also nothing I can do to change that.

I interviewed for a local135 op. They wanted to pay me about 30% of what I currently make working 10 days a month to work 22 days a month, home based, SIC on a pc12 and CFI work.. Possibly getting to the PC24 eventually, but who knows how long it would take to get there. I ended up not even moving on in the interview process and my guess is it was due to scheduling and they knew I would not leave my current career for such a pay decrease. That company is starting their own flight school.

My plan is to rent every so often and stay current. If CFI work picks up and I can get a job again at a local school that actually has demand- that would be great. However I see no reason to invest more than I already have by giving up QOL at 135 op or CFI work for pennies when I really don't need the hours. My 172 hours are worth pennies on the dollar compared to a furloughed 121 guy with turbine PIC time. Maybe turbine SIC at a 135 is worth more, but still not close to the same value as the guy interviewing for the job I want that has already passed 121 checkrides.

Now if I can get the kid back in school I will have some extra time and I think I can start my own flight training company with a plane, possibly two so that is an avenue I am currently looking at. Maybe its because I sold my Mooney and miss owning a plane, but if there is another wave coming it would be awesome to take advantage of as many rides as possible including the regional and being in a position to take demand as students want flight training.