View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 07:58 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by DontLookDown View Post
I disagree with this. The regionals that have gone under have left their pilots with no option but to look for other work.

Those pilots will all find jobs during the next couple years (perhaps non-flying). Once the regionals start hiring again, they’re going to offer around 40K starting, no bonus and no hint of upgrading anytime soon.

If the pilots found other, better jobs- I doubt they’ll come back.

Military aviators can’t just extend their contract “until COVID is over.” They have to commit for a specified time. The ones that were getting out were looking to do so because the civilian path looked better than the military path. Not the case anymore.

Civilian aviators need 1500 hours to get hired. Entry level work is going to be hard to find. Instead of 2 years of flight instructing it will likely take 5 years of grinding it out to get that time.

Once the regionals start hiring there will be applicants. Those applicants will run out pretty quickly in my opinion. I don’t think the flood gates will open with qualified applicants until the situation gets bleak to offer hiring bonuses and a reasonable shot at upgrading quickly.

Maybe I’m naive, but it’s just hard to imagine a large number of qualified people jumping at the chance to decrease their overall quality of life for the foreseeable future. That’s why the regionals were so desperate to get people right before the crash. If it were me I’d stick to the military, fire fighting, cargo/corporate or whatever else I’ve been doing
COMMANDER
NAVY PERSONNEL COMMAND
PERS-451O
5720 INTEGRITY DRIVE
MILLINGTON TN 38055-8340

PERS-451O fax number: (901) 874-2621

RE: Officer requests for separation

Requests take an average 12-16 weeks for processing. If your request requires any type of waiver (advanced education obligated service, bonuses, special pay, Minimum Tour for Separation (MTS), Minimum Service Requirement (MSR), etc.​) you may incur an additional 8 weeks of processing time. In accordance with NAVADMIN 288/17, all waivers are under increased scrutiny and members should be prepared to complete all service obligations.

If you are unsure of which month/year you should request in regards to time owed for advanced education obligated service, bonuses, special pay, Minimum Tour for Separation (MTS), Minimum Service Requirement (MSR), etc. or what best aligns your desired resignation month/year with Prescribed Rotation Date (PRD), or Time On Station (TOS), please contact your detailer for clarification. In accordance with the Officer Transfer Manual, your detailer has the ultimate responsibility for determining obligated service and dates concerning resignation.

If you have less than 8 years active service, you will be required to accept a reserve appointment in the Selected Reserve or Individual Ready Reserve for the time remaining on your MSO. If you have greater than 8 years active service and you wish to affiliate with the reserves, contact PERS-97 Career Transition Office (CTO) for questions.
And, I think you are pretty much wrong about everything else too, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. It’s not like the airlines have a long track record of dealing with COVID.