Thread: RIP
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 09:51 AM
trvsmrtn
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017

Originally Posted by SFDRVR1220 View Post
PBS does not magically make pairings more efficient. The efficiency of the flying that we do is dependent on what we get from American that month. Planning (and our ALPA guys now) plug all of that into the pairing generator and it spits out the pairings. PBS assigns those pairings in a way that will hopefully fit your preferences and shape itself around training and vacation.

The current system we have now, line bidding, takes those sweet 11 hour 4-days and stacks them into a month. You're then awarded that line of flying. If you have training, vacation, or anything else falling in during trip, then that trip then gets replaced by whatever TRN, VAC, etc, you've got and put in the OT pot.

Also, your premise makes zero sense. Lets say that PBS magically made pairings more efficient. Now instead of two 11 hour 4-days you've got one 22 hour 4-day. You'd only need one crew instead of 2. I don't understand how you've come to your conclusion that we would "build more lines." This isn't even possible with PBS because the whole point of PBS is to not build lines, but rather assign pairings.
You’re right, I didn’t think that I needed to mention that the contract language that goes along with PBS will be just as important, if not more so.