Thread: Crew rest
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM
down2mins
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ex-CRJ, now-ERJ FO

You've got the general idea. For our airline, you are "released" 20 minutes after you "block in" (or when the aircraft comes to a stop). Per the contract "time spent in transportation local in nature is considered part of the rest period". Fair? Nope not at all, but it's industry standard. Last night the van didn't even show up until 45 minutes after we got in...but does that matter to the company? Nope. Minimum rest for less than 8 hrs of scheduled flight time is 9 hrs, which can be reduced to 8 as long as you get extended rest ("compensatory") then next "day". So, get in at 2100, released at 2120, the company can make you report the next day as early as 2120 + 800 = 0520. Generally the report times are scheduled 1 hr before departure and that's what time you'll get the hotel van. Sometimes, if they have to bump back a report time because you got in late the night before, they'll do that but still tell you they expect an "on time departure". Some guys don't care and will take their good ole time, others will still take the van an hour before, even though it is technically an illegal report, so they'll be ready for an on-time and not inconvenience pax. I could go on & on, but I think I'm just rambling now....

Sorry for all the " " ' s