View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 10:51 AM
FXLAX
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
In a case where the FAA modifies the MOU to exclude something, that fact is well publicized in advance. It's not a surprise to anyone. In fact the way it even got to that point in the first place was that despite multiple urgent memos, recurrent training, and pleading emails from management it kept happening. For years. With very near catastrophic consequences in a couple cases... this was real scary. In fact I was on the fence about going to a major and this put me over the edge... I was afraid there would be accidents which would dramatically impact the company's viability and my long-term job security.

At some point the union would have to stop trying to enable the behavior and try to put a stop to it. I think they were past that point. It scared ME away.

The "Just Culture" is that you got plenty of warnings before they got medieval.

That is not the definition of Just Culture. Just Culture means that there is trust in a policy of voluntary safety data dissemination in exchange for not having the fear of punitive action. Once you take that away, no matter how narrowly defined, the Just Culture is compromised.

Since I wasn’t there, maybe I’m reading it all wrong. But from my outsider’s perspective, not allowing a crew to use ASAP in this one circumstance (unless the are repeat offenders), is using the nuclear option, maybe just a tactical nuke but a nuke nonetheless. It’s the union’s obligation to use any and all means available to it to prevent that. And as I see it, threatening publicizing withdrawal from the MOU would have gone a long ways in keeping the discussion going with the FAA and management as to how better to serve the public safety than to use fear. It’s been done before. But for that, I guess you need a union to begin with.