View Single Post
Old 11-30-2020, 11:49 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by FXLAX View Post
Again, if we are talking about the same pilots making the same mistakes, then I completely agree. I simply disagree with the FAA not letting anyone into the program for a specific type of event.
ASAP is ultimately an FAA program. There is no fundamental "entitlement" to exemption from regulatory consequences of performance failures. They have the right to exclude anything when they find it necessary, and this was one of those times. A union would have made no difference, the FAA was over it and they are in no way obligated to negotiate with or even interact with a union.

That doesn’t help anyone. If this was happening to different pilots through a period of time, it’s more indicative to management’s culture at the airline than anything else. It sounds like they unjustly targeted one group, the pilots, when they should’ve targeted management to get to the root cause.
The root cause, after they adressed every other possible cause, was poor airmanship, and the fix was simple: monitor the airplane, they even provide a second pilot specifically to do just that! I find it reasonable that if some people could not motivate themselves, then taking away the get out of jail free card could provide the motivation. I heard that it worked, although that was about the time I left.

The only thing the company could have done at that point was buy new airplanes which had autothrust.

Otherwise you get situations where you have a crew get into a UAS (not necessarily actually stall) yet not report it. And voila, the incidents have magically declined.
Old school. There are very few significant UAS which will not be observed by ATC and or FOQA data.

Even so, ASAP still works great for everything else.