View Single Post
Old 02-08-2008, 11:18 AM
mike734
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737
Default Do you have to squawk 7700?

Not too long ago one of our crews experience a rapid decompression. They began an emergency decent and told ATC they had a pressurization problem and needed lower and a diversion. They landed successfully, job well done.

Later during the investigation the crew was criticized and even threatened by the FAA with enforcement action because at no time did they squawk 7700. They did declare an emergency however so I contend there is no need to actually squawk 7700.

Now in our sim sessions there is an emphasis on squawking 7700 in addition to all the other tasks we have to perform. I think this is total BS.

Squawking 7700 is for benefit of ATC. In my opinion If I declare an emergency I'm done. I'd like to work on the problem now please. Don't bother me with your problems! Doesn't squawking 7700 just make my blip light up so ATC can more easily identify me? I don't care about ATC's problems. I'm concerned with my airplane, crew and passengers. I'm pretty sure once I declare an emergency ATC knows who and where I am. If they really need 7700 they can ask me to squawk it and I will when I have time.

I don't know what happened but I don't think any enforcement action was ultimately taken against the crew.

What do you guys think? Does it matter if you actually squawk the numbers or is verbal communication enough?