Thread: Should I leave?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM
Minepza
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by Richmond454 View Post
An update since my last post. The VLOA was approved for one year starting on 1 November. I started the new Job already. The job is pretty much what I expected, grinding away at a keyboard inside a cubicle. It's not horrible but definitely not as fun flying around in a jet. Being on the job for the past month and a half I have the following pluses and minus:

Positive:

* Pay. I forgot what I feels like to make a decent living. Living off regional FO pay for the past 2 years and now going to this job is amazing. I'm able to save for retirement again. It's gonna be hard to go back to FO pay.
*. Not commuting to work. It's nice not having to check flight loads and wondering if the jumpseat is open.
*Not having to deal old crusty angry captains. We have a few at my base and it seems I was always rostered with them.
*Having weekends off and able to make plans a few weeks out instead of telling people I have to get back to them when my schedule comes out.

Negative

*I miss flying
*. Not as much to talk about with coworker. Everyone else is from the same IT mode and I can't talk aviation with them. I don't have as much in common with them.,
* I can see working in a cubicle banging away at a keyboard is gonna get old fast.

So overall I'm happy I took the VLOA as it changes my pace for a bit and able to make some decent money. I'll take this opportunity to build up a fund. However even just being on the job for a month and a half I know I'm gonna want to get back to flying. Hopefully with the vaccine being approved things will get somewhat back to normal sooner rather than later. Ideal situation is to have the opportunity to put in for upgrade shortly after I get back. I've put my application into a few ACMIs recently but I doubt I'll be competitive in this environment.

Thanks again for everyone's input.
If you weren't happy before on the right seat, what makes you think you'll be happy again when you get back to the right seat or even the left seat? Just be happy with what you have, of course sitting in an office sucks no need for updates on that, but you make money. Your update is nothing anyone else didn't tell you would happen already.