View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 07:39 PM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

[QUOTE=howdyclub;3171507]The DOL can see that there is zero education or training requirements for most aircraft maintenance. Obtaining an A&P is a simple formality for the few instances that its required..[/QUOTE

Huh? Even in the Part 145 (repair station) world an individual has to show training in each task that is performed if that individual doesn’t have an Mechanic certificate. Eventually an uncert could work into a Repaiman certificate after 24 months of OJT. Everything that leaves a repair station is returned to service by someone that has a Mechanic or Repairman certificate.

At a 121 airline, its similar to the situation above. An uncert could, in theory be hired, but that would require them to be signed off on every single task that they would be allowed to perform.

Any maintenance on a part 135 aircraft has to be performed by a mechanic or a repairman, unless those items are specifically mentioned in their maintenance program.

Part 91 is the loosest, of course, but, the inspections, minor repairs and minor alterations still have to be returned to service by an A and P. Major alterations and Annual inspection require a further certificate, an Inspection Authorization (or be returned to service by a Part 145 repair station).

It seems to me there are a lot of instances where and A and P or repairman certificate are required.

I know most people think of MRO’s that perform maintenance on 121 aircraft south of the border and think that means there aren’t any requirements for individuals to perform maintenance at all. I’m here to tell you that simply would not pass here in the US. Of course, foreign repair stations get considerably less scrutiny than US-based repair stations. The FAA cites “funding” but I’m sure they get political pressure not to look too hard at those foreign-based repair stations.

Most mechanics have quite a bit of money (and time!) invested in their education and tools. I’m a probably considered an outlier since I have a four year degree but, I probably had 20-30K invested in my degree (that was 20 years ago) and about 70k in tools (probably more- I just don’t want to think about it!) over the years. Obviously an individual can get into it for considerably less than the above if they go to a community college and are only working on one type of aircraft or have a specialty. In my case, I’m an EMS helicopter mechanic but I also work on business jets, Ag aircraft, and piston GA, avionics, street metal, etc, so, there’s a wide variety of tools that I need to work on that many aircraft and specialties. Luckily, I do own and fly an airplane, and believe it or not have quite a bit of flight time, too.

I just wanted to show the forum that many of the mechanics in the industry are extremely skilled at their jobs and some might even have more time and money invested than a lot of people might think. Honesty, I’m not sure where the next generation of mechanics is going to come from. Most younger people aren’t interested in the trade. I think the average age of an aircraft mechanic is the late 50’s now. I’m again an oddity, I’m an older Millennial. The lack of pay (I’ve never broke 90K, even as a Chief Inspector/QA Manager) is the main contributing factor along with a lack of respect within the industry (I’ve been called a “dumb grease monkey” to my face on more than one occasion) and extreme liability (FAA and civil). I, unfortunately, can’t bring myself to talk anyone into it either.

Most guys I know, including myself, are looking to get out of the maintenance world, unfortunately. It’s kinda sad, honestly. It’s just something to think about next time you see someone working on an airplane.

Last edited by 4020Driver; 12-16-2020 at 08:01 PM.