Old 12-23-2020, 09:31 AM
Andy Dufresne
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2020

Originally Posted by dckozak View Post
Looking to possibly send my college graduate son to a "program" flight school. He has his PPL, less than a year from a local flight school. I think he would do better in a more structured environment that would provide a better path to a regional (when that becomes feasable). Any word from those of you who went this path, the school , location etc, If it was bad and you'd rather not put it out on the forum, PM me. Currently looking at AeroGuard, know nothing about them, just currently on my radar.
I had a similar route. Local flight school for PPL, and then ATP for the rest of my ratings. While my experience with ATP was a positive one (especially compared to what a lot of other folks have to say), those places are very hit or miss with the quality of instruction given. I was one of the lucky ones. Even with my “luck,” it was extraordinarily expensive.

My biggest piece of advice - if he goes that route - is to avoid the “guaranteed instructor job” once he completes the program. It’s a tempting path of least resistance, but he will be making poverty wages and working hellish hours. Encourage him to be flexible and willing to relocate if possible, and he will be able to make a much more comfortable - perhaps even lucrative - living while he’s working towards airline minimums.