Old 12-23-2020, 12:53 PM
Sperrysan
Banned

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: 24d

Originally Posted by dckozak View Post
Thanks for the input from my question. I have mixed feeling about how my son was training at a local flight school that is both big, expensive and training both 61 and 141. I never met his instructor, I made a decision to try to stay as hands off in deference to both instructor and son. He got his PPL, so the square was filled. The details I get in quizzing my son about the how and why's, well I think the job could have been better. I'm a long dormant CFII but very current otherwise. I can teach him, if it works for us both, but I'm willing to pay and able to pay for someone with the knowledge, desire and resources to it, if I believe it will be done right.

The cost of the "academies" is pretty outrageous, but as someone who was paying as little as $16 for a 150 in 1977, everything seems pricey. I told him I think he needs a structured training program, better focus, time concentrated, all of which points away from local 61 with dad or another instructor (that I vet) and more to sending him out of town. So I'm weighing all options. Since I walked the path, I know the pitfalls of not being properly prepared, not just have the tickets but being ready when ( I hope) some regional puts him in a class and than firehoses a training program at him.
Well, training him yourself sounds like a great bonding experience. Buy a plane, work on his instrument and commercial and build time. You could expose him to crm and the concept of 2 pilot ops.You two could travel the country building time and experience for a fraction of the cost of a embry or und degree