Old 12-25-2020, 09:40 AM
NoSeniorityZach
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: C172

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
To add to the above. Be cautious with self employed CFI’s as there are some out there that choose that path because they’re unemployable.
Personality issues.....dings on their records.
They keep afloat by conning people just long enough. Play the ace of the base with their “Ive never had a student fail” spiel.
Yep, haven’t finished one this year either.
Problem with self employed is there in no one to hold them accountable.
Find a local FBO with decent airplanes, decent syllabus and decent reliable instructors and train part time.
Fly trips with your son and don’t be afraid to go out of state for fun stuff like mountain flying courses or glacier flying in Alaska or a Seaplane rating in Key West or a Glider rating in the Rockies.
I’d avoid your own plane like the plague.

As a self employed flight instructor I agree with what you said. Be sure to interview them thoroughly! I work part time at a 141 school as well as freelance on the side working with aircraft owners and a couple of FBO renters. For me I have a genuine passion for flying and love teaching. However, I know another guy that is trying to free lance and couldn't keep his job at the same 141 school. Just be vigilant and don't be afraid to shop around for the right instructor. Remember you are the one that is going to be paying them a few thousand dollars. It is up to you the student to hold them accountable. I ask all of my students to ask as many questions as they can think of before we get started. With all of that said finding a CFI who takes pride in their craft and genuinely cares about all of their students are worth their weight in gold.