Thread: Fume Events
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 07:43 AM
Guppydriver95
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by WHACKMASTER View Post
Also for you Guppy pilots, watch the A & B hydraulic systems for over-servicing. That can be a potential source of a fine event. They had a tendency at SWA to not follow the MX manual and only fill it to 96% but instead to over 100%.

I write it up. Some mechanics get ****ed off at me (don’t care) while others get ****ed off at the mechanic who over-serviced it. One bad fume event was more than enough for me.
cant stress this enough. If the A or B hydraulic system is over 100%, get it serviced!! Sometimes they do a quick transfer to the other system via a hydraulic pump on/off/ brake procedure. Other times they have to drain it. Sometimes they get annoyed with a write up when it’s at 102%. They say it’s within book limits. While technically true, the opportunity for hydraulic fume events exists with anything over 100% due to the fact that a failing check valve would allow the overserviced hydraulics into the environmental control system. If at or below 100%, it takes that possibility away. So why in the world would anybody leave with them overserviced when the fix is so quick and easy? I know I don’t. (Ps-before writing it up, be sure the electric hyd pumps are on. Sometimes turning them on will drop the quantity a couple percent)