Thread: Capped Res Days
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2020, 11:31 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I have been denied a legal swap by the automated system so it can happen. In my case I was trying to swap the exact same 6 day trip I had to one day later and schedules for the following month were not yet out so it was impossible for me to be illegal. Coverage was double required. Crew scheds refused to see my logic on the issue so I handed it to the union. I got assignment pay for a 40 hour 6 day trip and strangely 2 payback days. Not a bad deal. Never did hear the exact issue but they claimed it was some type of coding error. On another occasion I was again denied a legal swap and it was caused by a error in how crew scheds built the rotation. Since the rotation had some type of violation built into it the system refused to award it. They fixed the issue and I was manually awarded the swap.
Those are good examples of why it is still a good idea to ask questions when something seems fishy. Years ago we (ALPA) got a pilot pay protected for a WS that went to a junior guy that he should have been awarded. Reason: a software error didn't even show him as legal for the trip, even though he was. Company stonewalled for awhile but finally paid the pilot and fixed the issue.

But in this instance and yours, it was errors in the implementation, not the correct contractual language, that caused the faulty denials.