View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 10:12 AM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

USAA has been my general "go-to" for years...
10-15 years ago we had taken a mortgage out with USAA, they then sold the loan to GMAC, which then declared bankruptcy, amd the servicing of the loan was taken from USAA in the bankruptcy procedure....
A scummy 3,rd party specialized in subprime mobile homes bought the loan...then would take our payments, then NOT apply them to the loan, saying we were late and had to pay penalties...
In discussing it with USAA they agreed to refinance it for zero cost seeing the $$ was paid on time, and EVEN took a principal reduction on the loan due to lower than expected value when apprised....
all we had to do was subjugate our right to sue the serving company to USAA to allow them to take legal action for us, along with other individuals having issues.
USAA policy were changed, and to this day we are thankful they went above and beyond, doing something that they had no legal reasons to do but felt they had a morals obligation too do.
Is the the company the same today?
No...but generally I trust them more than most other...let's face it, no company is perfect 100% of the time.
Do I have ally account locked down (just like with any company) with a physical 2nd factor key like a ubi-key or Google Titan key? You bet....I suggest ANYBODY using online banking should do the same ASAP.
USAA has been ahead of most others in terms of services offered...like mail in deposits, then check scanning then smart phone photos... online bill paying, statements etc, and then atm reimbursement has made them a GREAT company to use as a traveler.
Are they the best in all fields? No...life insurance, online trading, and a few areas they are not the best, amd sometimes it's only a me-to product, with the company selling off some business lines due to lack of critical mass to be cost effective.