View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 04:58 PM
tennisguru
Roll’n Thunder

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot

Originally Posted by ERflyer View Post
It was explained in Scheduling Alert 20-24, November 19, 2020.
Here are their two examples:

“- If a pilot is awarded a GS for a two-day trip worth 11:00 and the premium pay trigger is 73:15 or less, they will receive 95:15 of compensation for the bid period (35:00 guarantee + 26:15 vacation + 12:00 carry-in + 22:00 GS pay)

- If a pilot is awarded a GS for a two-day trip worth 11:00 and the premium pay trigger is greater than 73:15, they will receive 73:15 of pay for the bid period (35:00 guarantee + 26:15 vacation +12:00 carry-in); because the pilot has not reached the premium pay trigger, the GS award will trigger single pay and credit, offset against their line guarantee.”

ALPA says the company approved the comm piece so the examples speak for themselves. To me the premium pay trigger “greater than” or “less” could have been a little more clear ... like you have hit the trigger and you are above 73:15 or if not you are below 73:15. The trigger itself is always in flux each month so maybe it is greater than or less than 73:15. Just confusing ... for me ... and I guess some others. But I’ll let the powers that be hash it out. I’d rather not wait years to find out.

I just waited for an IA to be sure.
That's interesting, because according to those examples you can work a GS for free. The 73:15 is not the trigger, rather it comes from the example credit: 35 + 26:15 + 12 = 73:15, so if that's all you do then that's all you get paid. Example #2 shows where the GS trigger is higher than what the pilot has earned that month (73:15) thus the GS pays no money and is only credited towards their line guarantee. So according to that comm piece a GS won't pay ANYTHING extra if it's the only thing you do that month and you have no credit boosters (carry in trip, vaca, etc.). So to the OP's original question, on example 1 you earn no money whatsoever for the GS. It will only act as a WS (single pay) towards your line guarantee thus you must WS or GS another trip during the bid period that gets you over your MBL/CBL guarantee if you want that trip to actually count towards earning extra money over guarantee.

If that holds true for an IA, then the trigger doesn't matter so I'd think you'd get both the single pay and premium pay applied towards your line guarantee. Thus if you are on a CBL (25 hours) you'd need to at least do a 3-day IA to make any extra money. A 1 or 2 day IA won't net you anything unless you WS/GS/IA another trip during the bid period.