Old 01-04-2021, 01:12 AM
Birdsmash
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat

Originally Posted by Bellinbiker View Post
K4 has the highest rates of the CMI carries, yet they keep getting new 777s. Maybe performance has something to do with it. Or waiting for freight and not worrying about being “on time” because the freight is late. I’ve heard a rumor that aerologic might lose some planes because they leave freight behind.

And you disagreed with your own point. Sim country is more expensive that southern is. So DHL is looking at performance. Amazon will do the same. That’s why they keep asking K4 to fly 76s for them.
As pilots we have no idea what our employers charge their customers. CBA costs are not the only factor that drive the hourly rate. Do you have on-time performance numbers that compare the various carriers? I’ve never seen them.

DHL is in the process of replacing 744s (especially converted 744s) on many of their routes due to fuel inefficiencies compared to the 777Fs. European carbon footprint rules are a big factor and DHL is under those rules. That is the biggest reason behind K4 receiving the CMI operated DHL 777s they have so far. If Connie wanted to continue business with DHL (which I’m sure both Connie and DHL desired) he had to make the transition. Covid has delayed the demise of the 744s on the DHL ramp. The Polar certificate is also under pressure to replace the 744s with 777Fs. However, until both Atlas/Southern are combined under a SOC it’s impossible unless AAWW wants to add 777Fs to the Atlas/Polar certificate(s). That’s not going to happen due to the huge cost of starting up the program when they already own an airline that operates 777Fs (Southern). Also, there are 5 additional 777Fs owned by AAWW/Titan that are currently leased to other operators (3 at TNT and 2 at AeroLogic). I don’t know when those leases expire or if the customers/Titan will renew or if those airframes will go to another operator like Southern/Atlas. Eventually you will only see 748s, 777s, and A330s in DHL’s big airplane parking spots.

DHL is a fickle mistress. Just because you have the current dance doesn’t mean she won’t go home with someone else.....and AMZN has definitely learned from watching DHL.

Last edited by Birdsmash; 01-04-2021 at 01:39 AM.