Thread: Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 11:58 AM
Finessed
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2020

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Wrong. Only 5% of Chap 11 bankruptcies are ever converted to Chapter 7, most often by the debtor themself if he/she thinks there will be more residual capital coming to them through liquidation than through reorganization. Judges approve pretty much any viable reorganization that appears that it will not take money away from secured creditors.
So I’m wrong because only 5% of chapter 11 bankruptcies are converted to chapter 7. Yeah listen that’s most likely so low because nobody bothers with chapter 11 when it’s inevitable chapter 7 is the best result for the parties. But that doesn’t make it “wrong”, it makes it “highly unlikely”.

So let’s take a look at the balance sheet of American Airlines Group. They $64.54 billion in total assets, which is losing value daily. Total debt last quarter was $41.2 Billion. In December they were burning a reported 25-30 million a day.

It would be interesting to find out how exactly the debtors would be restructuring. Also I question if American really owns 65 Billion in assets, I bet the debtors during the chapter 11 process would have it valued substantially less.

Last edited by Finessed; 01-07-2021 at 12:20 PM.