View Single Post
Old 01-07-2021, 03:44 PM
Speed Select
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2016
Position: NBC

Originally Posted by 123494 View Post
I would also like to bump this thread. I'm considering the MBA to assist in exiting aviation.
I earned an MBA at a top-50 brick and mortar B school as I was preparing to transition out of the military.

Take aways:

1. The MBA program/education is all about networking and internships. There are two types of “successful” B school students. One goes to B school straight from undergrad and interns at a company they want to work at after graduation. The other is sent to B school by their company for leadership development. Going to B school outside either of those paradigms means you can expect to start at an entry level salary.

2. When GE or Google or Amazon pays you $200k, you’ll be on the hook 24/7, can expect to be moved to different cities, and will probably be on the road more than you would as an airline pilot. Expect to take work home.

3. Flying is probably your most lucrative means of revenue. Without another skill or significant organizational leadership experience, expect it’ll take at least a few years to return to the KSA threshold that puts you back into upper 100s/low 200s.

4. Having interviewed at GE, the MBA is just to get you in the door, certainly not a golden ticket. Your work/leadership experience is going to get you hired.

5. A law degree is what an MBA was 25-30 years ago.

That said, it’s a good education. It’ll make you look at things differently. But it’s probably not worth investing $50k in when a couple of finance and accounting classes will get you what you need to start out in the business world.

Good luck!

P.S. Nurse anesthetist is the secret money making career I’m thinking about jumping ship for.