Old 01-10-2021, 07:49 AM
ChopNDrop
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Originally Posted by zerozero View Post
No offense, but people who keep asking this question really don't understand how Amazon is using their aircraft.

(Disclaimer: sometime IN THE FUTURE, Amazon may resemble FDX or UPS, but right now they do not.)

Amazon is using their air operation simply to reduce their COSTS--not to make a PROFIT. Furthermore, Amazon is using their aircraft to move goods that supply their fulfillment centers. It's not a hub and spoke, overnight operation like FDX and UPS. This is why the Amazon fleet flys primarily during the day, and not overnight.

Could all of that change IN THE FUTURE, of course. But as the operation runs today, in my opinion, this does not rival FDX or UPS, it simply gives Amazon more CONTROL and saves them MONEY.

agreed... if amazon is to meet their stated goal of ASAP (my words - faster than overnight) delivery, their operation will inevitably resemble FDX/UPS/DHL - BUT - it won’t be an identical operation with regards to aircraft usage. I believe the aircraft will continue to be used to fill the gap that is created by ground & sea logistics at the fulfillment centers.