View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 12:59 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by velosnow View Post
Sure, however my point is it doesn't justify the paranoia that some exhibit. There isn't a demonstrated need to cover your camera or remove company devices from meetings. The evidence doesn't support it.

Back to original post, there also isn't reason to live your life in fear. Don't be an arse and you'll get through this career (and life) just fine. Feel bad for those that hinder their own life experiences and relationships on the off chance something they do will get them in trouble.
Covering the camera is cheap insurance.

We went to extreme lengths with mil security (I was TS+), don't need to go that far obviously with personal privacy and confidential business (union) info but you'd remiss to totally disregard the risks. I have a good sense as to the scope of what's possible, and it's very nearly anything and everything. Even the best world-class encryption can be and often is compromised by flaws, backdoors, loopholes in the HW or various software. Or plain operator error/negligence.

My brother also related some cases where managers for large companies had actually hired outside "investigators" (hackers) to enable their digital snooping, to further their own personal interests within the organization. These were companies which would not remotely conduct or condone illegal hacking/surveillence, but they had some rogue people.