View Single Post
Old 01-14-2021, 10:02 AM
Big E 757
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: A320 Left seat

Originally Posted by usernamehere View Post
I would agree that Reuters is one of the best. But they still have an agenda. Here’s the story from the example I mentioned above.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24D0HE

So start with the headline. Why is the story new case record in the first place? Why compare it to “most countries?” Why isn’t it “record testing leads to record cases discovered?” So my first issue is the headline itself and the story itself are meant to come down on FL for being open and because it’s being run by a republican.

first paragraph: calls the protests anti-mask protests. I’m pretty sure they were anti-lockdown protests but I could be wrong. But I doubt it.

then it talks about how bad it is compared to other countries, no mention of actual tests performed. The media throughout this event has just assumed China was honest when it stopped reporting cases.

I don’t have time to go dig for other countries testing numbers but the New York comparison is easy. Covidtracking.com. On the day they compare to New York, New York was doing around 50,000 tests per day which they leave out of the story. You don’t know that Florida in this case did 143,000 tests in one day until the very last paragraph (it’s given an obligatory sentence with no context). So math wise Florida was about 10-11% infection rate and New York on the record setting day was around 23-25% infection rate. More than twice that of FL. Yet the story is basically implying that FL is worse off than New York was.

Narrative.
On the news the other day, the media was criticizing our Country’s vaccination progress and saying how far behind we are, compared to the UK and Israel. Isreal is about the size of New Hampshire and Vermont combined, and UK is about twice the size of Florida...not quite, and the US has 47 more states if you take those 3 out. Is it a valid comparison to compare either of those 2 countries to the US when talking about this. I don’t think so. But it sounds bad, and bad news sells.