View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Check Essential
Works Every Weekend

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 737 ATL

Originally Posted by tedspal View Post
I am a Delta new hire, Mar 3rd class date. I now have a very vested interest in the future of Delta. I don't really know what life will look like if we merge. But, I am almost certain it will good if we do not. With Delta experiencing lots of growth with no end in site. I have a couple questions for Delta guys.

1. I have heard the Delta pilot union has a large scope, what is this scope?

2. Why don't the pilots just say that they do not want to merge?
tedspal-
The Delta pilot scope clause is the very first section of our contract. It is 25 pages of single spaced very small type. It is complex and controversial. Even if you read the 25 pages you won't really understand exactly what's going on until you've been around the industry for a little while.
Basically it tries to make the company generate their revenue using pilots from the Delta Seniority List on as many flights as possible. Of course, the company wants maximum freedom to generate revenue using regional pilots and foreign pilots whenever it suits them and whenever they can find pilots who will do the job for lower pay and benefits. This whole process is called "code-sharing". Some of it we allow and some of it we don't.
My advice to you is study your airplane manual and not the scope clause. That will come in due time. Enjoy your new hire training without worrying about union politics or merger scenarios.
As they're fond of saying over there in the schoolhouse whenever you ask a question that can't be answered quickly or easily; - "You'll get that on the line".