Thread: Career Advice
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 01:25 PM
TOGALOCK
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by Anderair View Post
Hey folks, furloughed regional guy here. My airline shut down permanently last year. I've been Chief Instructor at a 141 flight school since. 4800TT, 1200TPIC, LCA, 4 year degree, no skeletons. Just curious what you folks would do in my shoes? 135? Stay as Chief Instructor for a while longer? LCC when they hire?

My quality of life in the CFI gig is incredible and the pay is better than I was making as a regional LCA unbelievably. I know that CFI time is doing nothing for me. Should I jump at the first available jet job or stick with my QOL? Figured I'd see what the harsh voices of the internet had in store for me.
If your career goal is to be an airline pilot, then why in the world would you not try for an LCC when the hiring door opens again? I could understand if you were asking if you should go to another regional, but the narrow body pay difference between the legacies and the U/LCCs these days is negligible and it’s really a wash on quality of life factors. Don’t be one of the thousands who have the “hold out for nothing less than a legacy” attitude only to hit the end of their career and realize that it never happened. Get to someplace where you COULD be happy spending a career at. If you want to continue to push for a legacy job from there, by all means go for it! But, at least you’re sitting on a career gig if your dream airline never calls.

The same could be said for ACMI, but that’s a different lifestyle that only you and your loved ones can decide if it’s right and doable for an entire career.