Thread: FedEx v swa
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2021, 05:42 AM
RckyMtHigh
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

I had this choice several years back and stayed at SWA, mostly because I dreaded doing overnight flying, did not want to live in any FedEx bases and did not want to commute. Looking back on it, probably the wrong decision - I since learned that commuters can often start trips with a paid commercial deadhead and that with a bit of seniority night flying can be mitigated. Not sure how true those statements are - but it would have affected my choice if I had known better at the time. The money and rise in seniority was definitely better at FedEx, but I passed on that in the interest of better quality of life living in base at SWA. Again, probably wouldn’t make the same decision today, but you don’t know what you don’t know and I think that is what the original poster is looking for. He can work 12 days a month at SWA on a fairly normal daytime schedule. Several posts about making more money, which is obvious, but what is the cost? Do you need a day on the backside of every trip to recover? If so, that’s not a real day off. What is realistic work schedule at FedEx these days? Is the pension still a thing? What’s realistic progression for a new hire now vice a new hire a years back? Seems like a no-brainer, but a lot of factors go into a decision based on family circumstances. Help the guy out.