Old 01-21-2021, 12:04 PM
DeltaboundRedux
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2020
Position: Enoch Powell Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phins2right View Post
Half the population has an IQ <90. So he's right.
Sidenote:

IQ is an interesting and extremely useful predictor [GASP] of many things. But it's difficult for a person with a significantly higher IQ to grasp just how much different the world is to someone in the <90 set.

Best book that illustrates this was called "McNamara's Folly: The Use of Low-IQ Troops in the Vietnam War". LBJ/McNamara needed meat for the Vietnam grinder and waived IQ minimums in spite of the Army's protests. The results (and the high casualty rates) were predictable.

It's a good case study of a litany of things we do on a daily basis that a huge subset of the general population either can't do, can't understand, or do poorly.

Unsurprisingly, low IQ people are much easier to fool. They might not eat dog waste (which, I might add, Phins never wrote), but they'll take as reasonable instructions all kinds of thing your average commercial pilot* would question.

*(Commercial pilots average around 120 IQ, which seems a bit high to me based on narrow personal experience and having had exposure to some truly bright people outside the field. Military pilots probably a bit higher, but I doubt by much. )

Last edited by DeltaboundRedux; 01-21-2021 at 12:17 PM.