View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 06:28 AM
powersmurfuk1
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by Bat2210 View Post
Finding an established flight school at Whiteman, El Monte or Van Nuys is best. An individual with an airplane is not the greatest idea. Having a good well maintained fleet of aircraft combined with well supervised full time fight instructors is worth the money. A good structured start in your flying career will pay off in the long run. By the way, I soloed out Whiteman in 1967, and retired as a 777 Captain in 2012.
What a sweeping statement, and how wrong. My instructor is currently a 737 Captain with one of the majors and has been flying for over a hundred years. He owns his own plane and teaches because he wants to, not because he has to. My last instructor was someone with 700 hrs and trying to "build hours". The difference in instruction is amazing.

Op, it is also worth noting; If you do go to a flight school, make sure you end up picking one that charges by logged flight time and not when you walk in the door. At the local flying club I went to, they charged for instructor time the moment you walk in the door. Currently, my instructor only charges per logged flight time.