View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by atpwannabe View Post
I believe that SkyHigh and SeniorSkipper both have valid points. It's just at what Part you are flying under. If I'm going to go the 135 route, then absolutely I need to have a firm foundation in terms of being able to make a decision quickly and independently of others b/c some aspects of 135 flying is a single pilot operation. On the other hand, if I'm flying 91 or 121, then I need to be able to conform to the company. I believe it's termed as....being a team player. Each pilot has his/her respective duties in the cockpit which contributes to the overall successful trip/flight.

Personally speaking, I have considered the PFT program at Gulfstream and not for the "usual suspect" reasons. There are some people out there who are an exception to the rule and are good low time pilots. I would venture to guess less than 2% of all low time pilots (those who actually meet the mins for some regionals) are capable and competent enough to fly an RJ. JMO. However, for me it's different.

I would remain in the South Florida area. My fiance/wife wants to remain here for now. With me flying and her working in the school system as an administrator would allow us to be able to live comfortablly. In addition, I have a 3 yr old son. We want at least 2 more children. It is important to me to be home every night during his formative years. I don't know how many times I have heard some of you talk about the importance of family, QOL and the like. My love for flying DOES NOT SUPERCEDE THE LOVE & SECURITY OF MY FAMILY. My plan would be to stay at GIA for at least 2-3 years, then apply to the Majors...whether pax or cargo. If that scenario didn't play out, seeing my wife & children happy and still able to enjoy a flying career at that level would be ok with me. I guess I can sum it up by saying, "No greater love that a man has than to lay down his life for his friends."

atp
For what its worth, one of the WORST pilots I have EVER seen had 1100 hours, 800 with GIA. This person could not hold an altitude or a heading SEPERATELY much less both at the same time. Forget about trying to maintain a speed.