View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 09:52 AM
freezingflyboy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by Senior Skipper View Post
I'll drink to that! However, i will say that those programs do have their place. For example, a late career changer may need to do it if he's got a family to feed and there are extenuating circumstances. But the 20-something who has left college in the past few years and just REALLY wants to flt big jets has no business there. The jets are there today, and they will be there tomorrow, and next week, and next year. What's the rush?

Yes you've always wanted to fly. Ever since you can remember. Guess what? Me too. If you've gone all these years and the desire to be in a jet hasn't mortally wounded you, believe me that a few more months (building time so that you can go to a real job) won't kill you either.
If anyone has a family to feed they shouldn't be plunking down $30,000 to go play "airline pilot". PFT and PFJ are very different things. PFJ (Pay For Job) is about the most terrible thing you can do in this industry besides crossing a picket line. Go look at Colgan or Commutair or Great Lakes. Those places pay YOU to fly their airplanes. All you are doing is telling management "hey, i want to play airline pilot! Why pay that guy $20,000 when I am worth NEGATIVE $16,000! Oh, and don't forget the sand-based lube"