View Single Post
Old 01-24-2021, 07:49 AM
Bucking Bar
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

Partnerships ... any kind of partnership, don't put in more than you are willing to lose and go with the flow.

If you love a pristine airplane, hangar floor you can eat off of, and notice when all the screw heads aren't aligned, a partnership is not for you.

I've owned 9 airplanes and had partnerships in 3. Currently in a Grumman Tiger and an A36. The Tiger is a terrific, cheap, simple, fun, take the kids and go play airplane. It is not a short field, grass, carry a load, machine.

Bonanzas are more complex and more expensive but with the possible exception of the C182 the best "all-rounder" that we can afford. It has a fat, high lift, high angle of incidence wing. The flying qualities of the 33-35 (straight tail, short fuselage) are perfect. The A36 is a bit of a truck in comparison. Depends on your needs. I've carried 6 adults to the islands in the A36 and done (JZP) ATL-PHX in one stop. I used the Bonanza(s) for business and put 300 hours a year on them with nary a single squawk at annual. With these more complex and expensive airplanes, I HIGHLY recommend working out a progressive maintenance schedule. Lube and clean gear and flight controls with 50-hour oil changes and the airframe will last forever. Keep them out of the sun and fuel bladders will last longer than the sealant on a wet wing.

A good friend of mine the nation's largest Cirrus dealer and MHO, they just don't make their numbers, as well as a Bonanza, does.

The problem with all the out of production airplanes is a lack of support when you need a part. I love the Comanche that another guy wrote about, but try to find an airframe part. Need a gear door? Good luck. On the other hand you can build yourself a hotrod out of STC. This was the last one I built up before coming to Delta and probably the best flying and most versatile airplane I ever owned. The A36 is worth a lot more. This was a lot more fun (1960 33-35)

Last edited by Bucking Bar; 01-24-2021 at 08:09 AM.