View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 11:04 AM
Elevation
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by 6ix9ineYearFlow View Post
An acquaintance of mine I keep in contact with at Atlas said the union and company are going to meet a couple more times before they go to arbitration because of “big progress” in the last negotiating season. Does anyone think they’re going to realistically TA any outstanding financial pieces of the contract prior to arbitration?

Hoping the best for your pilot group, it’s beyond overdue.
We don't know.

Some think the only real negotiating happens at the 11th hour. The idea is the company thinks the arbitrator will award more than what we'll vote for, so we'll get a last minute, cheap-but-sexy offer. There's some sense to this. We may jump at a flashy rate and ignore a crummy retirement, etc. An arbitrator would look at a 400m bailout as we expanded services with Chinese companies among many other things. It's conceivable he could award us a lot of money.

Others think the various camps have too much of their professional, political and personal identities invested in these positions. So the individuals in charge can not afford to lose face via compromise. We'll see a flurry of activity as each party tries to look the most earnest in front of the arbitrator with no real progress. That still means stalemate to arbitration.

The reality is we don't know what's coming. Reality will develop along somebody's prediction. That doesn't mean any of us are good prognosticators. If we were we'd be wealthier and better positioned.

We don't know.

Personally I favor positioning for resiliency.