View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:20 AM
flyboycpa
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007

I fly for United and just got my A&P a year ago. It's doable. The biggest hurdle is getting the approval on the Form 8610-2 that documents your experience. You must have that 8610-2 in order to take the three written tests (General, Airframe, and Powerplant). Once you have someone from the FSDO agree with all your experience, as documented on the 8610-2, and they sign it, it is good forever. Just don't lose it. My Inspector told me he kept a file for them and that if I did lose it, he could generate a new copy for me....but still....just don't lose it.

Once you pass your first exam, you have 24 calendar months in which to get all three complete and complete your Oral & Practical.

I highly recommend using Baker's School of Aeronautics (just outside of Nashville, in Lebanon) for the Oral & Practical preparation. They are great at it. They have two options, the one week course and the two week course. The two week course covers written exam prep and testing in the first week, then Oral & Practical prep in the second week, with the O&P scheduled with one of the local DMEs at the end of that week. If you go with the one week course, you must show up with all three of your written exams already completed so you can roll right into the second half of the course.

I've actually been really busy during the covid times with 100-hr inspections, resurrecting two airplanes that hadn't flown in years (a Swift and a Navion), installed shoulder harnesses in my best friend's C-170, among other things. It's great to have your A&P if you own an airplane or just love to tinker.

Sam Swift