Thread: Part 91 flying
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 04:39 PM
CardboardCutout
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by FTv3 View Post
I heard of guys driving Ubers, bartending, etc. I think most just gutted it out or relied on savings, a working spouse, or a small loan to supplement. It goes by quick
Yeah, I dunno, maybe it's a weird confluence of the fact that the first year pay is so low and UPS tends to hire older dudes. I'm right in what I understand to be the "normal" hire age range, and my plan (should it all pan out) is to fly min guarantee for the first year both because the money is so bad and because I want to limit my exposure to any kind of trouble until I'm off probation. I'm sure the calculus is different for people who have kids or other obligations, but I plan to work on the house, or the bike, or the car, or whatever, and show up to work with a smile on my face, a song in my heart, and zero intention of working any more than I'm obliged to. It just doesn't make any financial sense to fly extra at UPS or anywhere else while you're still in the "try it out and return it if you don't like it" phase. Keep your head down.