View Single Post
Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 AM
WhipWhitaker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
The problem is that we don't really fight. We make grandiose statements to our pilots. We tell them "You're either with us or against us!". The truth is that when it's really time to grab spears and shields, the folk making grand statements don't show up.

More importantly we don't shut-up. I just finished a trip. During this flight a gentleman name-dropped a pilot and described what the stewards are doing for that person. That person name-dropped another pilot and described what pro-standards was doing about that person. All of this was unsolicited by anyone on the flight deck. So pro-standards and the stewards are leaking information to this guy. I'm sure they're thinking they are speaking to a trustworthy friend, albeit inappropriately. He's casually using this information to build rapport with new pilots. The result is yet another breakdown and yet another example of systems failing to perform as advertised.

But we're telling our pilots they're the problem? That, my friend, is institutional cowardice. You're personally better than this.

Instead of issuing more grand statements let's get ourselves together. That means cleaning up our own act. It also means not painting with a broad brush. There are people there willing to work with us and be reasonable. Calling them thugs paints them into a corner and turns potential partners into enemies. This is a weak leader's gambit to build support underneath himself while compromising the greater effort. Instead cite the people that help. We're not fighting a monolith. This type of thinking blinds us to potential opportunities and advantages.
You hit the nail on the head! We’d be in a different position if we had anyone with just a little class and professionalism running the show. Absolutely embarrassing.