View Single Post
Old 02-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Oldfreightdawg
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B-737

Originally Posted by flyharm View Post
[B][I]Hello, as a 22 year US Airways fellow, I do not understand why you say that ALPA Merger Policy is now law. Actually, ALPA did not follow it's own merger policy, leading to turmoil within the groups here. Avoid a windfall to either group is one tenant of merger policy, and there are others in the merger policy that were not heeded in the lopsided Nicolau "Award". The result is that by end of March there will be a vote to replace ALPA with USAPA (like APA). If this happens, there is a 90% chance of vacating the Nicolau award, according to 4 independant labor attorney firms. US AIrways MDA pilots (same as TED or Song) were treated as furloughed. These pilots won a suit against ALPA. The mess only increases daily with ALPA doing damage control and the local CLT 90 council refuses to hold a meeting as there is a serious recall effort. Again, ALPA decides what is best for them, and does not care to hear dissident views. The seniority issue is far from over, whatever the outcome may be. Those not in ALPA, count your blessings. It is a major corporation run amuck and only interested in more income to support the 450k /year salaries and huge pensions. I can understand why ALPA is trying to hush this up. ALPA is also ignoring the facts of the bill signed by President Bush regarding mergers, which uses the Allegheny-Mowhawk provisions of seniority for airline mergers, unless both companies are represented by the same union. If you both have ALPA, good luck. ALPA does not heed it's own policies.
I probably take liberty with that statement more than I should because ALPA was behind supporting the legislation and APA was not (in fact APA didn't even know about it until it was signed into law). Over at APA, the feeling is that your particular situation may be repeated because it has set precedence among arbitrators. If it becomes unraveled, that may change.

I agree with your assessment of ALPA. The power brokers there only care about preserving ALPA the institution. Good Luck.