Old 05-05-2006, 09:13 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by F15AvionicsTech
Hey folks -

Just did my first solo last week and now I'm trying to get a head start studying for the X-Country trips coming up. Does anyone know of any good VFR Flight Planning software or maybe some good websites with some information? I've read through all my text books (Including the FAA's Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge...) and I'm still trying to get a grasp on filling out the VFR Flight Logs. Are VFR flights supposed to be precisely navigated? How would I know when I reach a certain waypoint?

Thanks for any advice.

Student pilot VFR plans are supposed to be meticulous and detailed, and you are supposed to navigate them precisely (workload permitting) by timing your legs. This is done so that you have an intimate grasp of how flight planning is supposed to work. They should take a couple hours to do.

Once you're done with training, you can do quick and dirty flight plans for VFR recreational flights, but you need to understand the process so you can safely decide what to estimate and what to calculate.

IFR flight plans are much easier to do, and when you get to the professional level, your flight plans will be computer-generated.

I suggest you save the software until commercial training, you'll learn more that way. You'll also appreciate what our fathers and grandfathers had to do on a daily basis lol.