View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 04:36 PM
187Breezy
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
That said, be aware that the bus is a grown-up airplane... easy to fly but a real biatch to learn if they don't spoon-feed you (they do that overseas but not so much here). Be prepared to put in a LOT of study effort. Also make sure you understand the lay of the land of the training/checking environment... if it's designed for experienced turbine pilots, it's not going to be for you. A checkride bust will do more harm to your career than a no-flight-time bus type will enhance your career.
I had this very conversation with the ATP folks and they assure me that people in my situation have been successful in this class. I’m in a trust-but-verify mode on this. I don’t underestimate the amount of study or work, but I also know that the checkride is not mandatory at the end of the program (I’m paying, not my employer.). If I’m still 5 miles behind the airplane I can always opt for more training or forgo the ride. I don’t want to risk a bust at this stage... but on the other hand, nothing ventured nothing gained. And if we’re back to 2018/19 levels in 5 years that type rating could come in mighty handy.

This is a tough decision in a long string of tough decisions. Life is like that.