Thread: Lease back
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Duksrule
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Default Lease back

Anyone have an opinion on Buying a new A/C and leasing it back? I am a PPL and will be getting the rest of my ratings. If you buy an A/C from Cessna they pay $4000 toward your instrument ticket. Plus the school I go to is looking for one maybe 2 more 172 G1000 planes. They get $150 an hour for the G1000 and it is rented probably 4 hours a day minimum. I am going to a briefing on lease back this weekend at a dealer and am just looking for some insight from people that have done this or know something about it. I would hope that a brand new plane would be under warranty and not have many things go wrong with it. The 1 G1000 they have right now belongs to the General Manager of the school. They had a second one but that persone moved out west. This just seems like a way to buy a plane and get my ratings while someone else pays for it. Sort of like a rental house. I have 2 of those and nothing but great things to say about rental property.

I know that people are going to say "imagine your worst flight and multiply it by 10 and imagine that person in your plane". I have been flying there for over a year now and the A/C are in great shape and never have any damage and all of the school's planes are lease backs. I know there is always a chance of something happening but isn't that what insurance is for?