Thread: Tesla model Y
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2021, 03:14 PM
ugleeual
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: 767/757 CA

Originally Posted by Wolf424 View Post
A lot of variables here. The car has cabin overheat protection for the summer (keeps the car interior below 105F). Two settings...one uses AC, the other is just the fan (but it may exceed 105). In either setting, if the battery dips below 20%, it is automatically disabled. (AC obviously uses more energy).

Additionally, sentry mode (the alarm and recording feature) uses energy depending on how many times it is activated.

If you have both the temp and sentry mode turned off, you’ll lose about 1% a day. With sentry mode on, it really depends on how many times it’s activated (ie people walking too close to it), but factor in another couple % per day.

The cabin temp protection will burn through your battery, especially the AC setting. I forgot to turn it off on a hot day while I was out on a trip, and when I checked the app when I remembered the next day, the car was already at 20%. Not a big deal as I made it home just fine, but if you’re driving a few hours home, you’d probably have to hit a supercharger for a few min.

I usually keep temp control off and sentry mode on when I leave. Never loses more than a couple % per day.
^^^THIS^^^ sentry mode and temp protection will suck the battery until it automatically shuts off... just turn them off and you’ll be fine.