Thread: Tesla model Y
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2021, 06:25 AM
iaflyer
seeing the large hubs...

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 73N A

Originally Posted by Nantonaku View Post
I went on a fairly short road trip in a friend’s model 3 and the range was not good. A trip that you could normally do in 1 tank of gas ultimately took 3 pit stops (we weren’t able to start on a full charge due to a super charger station not working and having to charge overnight from a normal outlet). If I get a Tesla I would rent a gas car if I ever went on a road trip over 200 miles. Also not a good car to bring back country camping.
There are some trips that will not be convenient, but there are more chargers than you think, I would totally do a road trip anywhere in the US with my Model 3. Back-country is a little harder because areas with no services..well.. don't have any services.

abetterrouteplanner.com or plugshare make it easy to plan a route and find chargers. But an electric car isn't a gas car, there isn't a charging station on every corner. But there are still lots of chargers, and companies like EVGo and Electrify America are adding lots, in addition to Tesla's supercharger network.