seeing the large hubs...
iaflyer
seeing the large hubs...
close
  • Joined APC
    Oct 2006
  • Position
    73N A
Quote: Anyone on here who has a Tesla with the Self-Driving A/P care to share their experiences? The only thing I have to compare it to is my daughter’s Rogue Sport and the Steer Assist. I’ve taken it on the road and it navigates quite well as long as the road markings are visible. In sharper turns and higher speeds it would give me a little pucker factor as to if it would actually make the turn. My hands had to be on the wheel too or after like 5 seconds it would bark a warning at me. How is the Tesla A/P in your experience? Summon feature? I flew with a CA who had a S and he said he used the summon feature several times when a T’storm came up and he had it come up to the front of a store so he could hop in. In videos I’ve watched, it appears to “hunt” a bit, when using summon and if your phone GPS position is off it will confuse it. Also, anyone experienced a mildew like smell from the A/C? I’ve seen some reviews of that happening. Thanks in advance.
I have the EAP - Enhanced Autopilot, which they don't offer anymore - it's in-between the current Autopilot and Full Self Driving. So mine can selfdrive on highways, streets, change lanes by itself, and navigate along interstate exits, etc. It can also do Summon.

I just got back from a drive around town doing errands, so I'd thought I'd answer the questions. On the highway, it does a fantastic job. It's self-driving, not a lane keeper. So it looks ahead around 100 feet and can see the road turning ahead, and other cars in its lane and other lanes. So it plans what it's going to do, as opposed to other systems where it just tries to keep within the white lines and can "ping-pong" between the lanes. I have no hesitation on using it, on the highway or city streets. The autopilot will nag you about every 30 seconds to keep your hand on the wheel. You just need to rest your hand there, it sense the torque resistance as it turns the wheel and feels you holding on.

As for Smart Summon - it's neat, and it works, but it's like asking a 13 year old to bring you your car. It will probably work, but in a busy parking lot, I wouldn't use it. I've used it in empty parking lots to test it out, but I'd be hesitate where are cars or things to hit.

Mildew smell - I've had none of that, and I think Tesla updated the software to run the fan/AC for longer after you park the car to avoid that problem.