View Single Post
Old 02-26-2021, 06:02 PM
flyguy0246
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

Thanks for the help Rick.

Hello guys and girls,

I currently am a 25 year old with about 1100 TT, built pretty much all of the time as a CFI/CFII. My ultimate career goal is to be a Part 121 pilot. I recently took a job at Cape Air, since I didn't see the regionals coming around for someone at the ATP mins for quite some time, and I have to admit, I was burnt out of instructing. Some of us just aren't born with the patience to teach primary students! The Cape Air gig seemed pretty decent. Until I upgrade, its a slight pay cut over my instructing job, but once I upgrade, it will be more pay than I was previously making, while being able to work less as well. I was also pretty low on multi time, and this job is all multi engine flying, albeit piston powered. Really the only downside to the job is a 15 month commitment beginning once I upgrade when the company gets me my ATP. All said and done, I should be finished with the commitment Winter of 2022.

With how quickly the vaccine has come around, and sensing the pent up demand for travel, I am starting to feel like I may have made a mistake. I know this career is all about luck and timing, and a lot of that is guesswork. Nothing I can really do about it at this point anyways, just wanted to hear others opinion on the matter. This may cause me to get to 121 flying later than if I stayed instructing, but also I may be competitive to go straight to an ULCC when I'm done my commitment. I don't have any checkride failures, and I have a 4 year degree as well. Curious to hear more experienced folks opinions/thoughts.

Thanks