View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 07:07 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Seneca Pilot View Post
When pilot-less happens it would start in freight. No fiery crash with seats full of passengers, just freight lost and that is replaceable. I think the greater threat to freight pilots is the world where you go online to order a product but instead of the company shipping that product you download a single use license to print the product on your 3D printer. That tech exists now and doesn't require coordination with the airspace system and complete security of data to prevent digital hijacking of a plane. Could also severely reduce trucking fleets.
That's an interesting point but it's a very long way off. Probably someday, to some degree.

My brother-in-law is an engineer for a very large printer company and they are aggressively expanding into 3D printers (aka AM). But almost their entire market focus is for rapid prototyping and very small niche production runs. For large mass-market production 3D printers aren't economical by a long shot, and I'm sure that cost delta is more than enough to cover shipping.

Also good 3D printers are expensive.

A typical 3D printer works in one material. To make anything even slightly complicated (moving parts, electronics) you'd need multiple printers, or modules within one printer. Now it's getting large and really expensive.

Then if you build multiple parts, is the printer going to assemble them for you? How about painting/coating?

Also many products probably can't be made via home AM at all, without stocks of MANY raw materials. Shampoo, food, electronic components, especially semi-conductor chips. Some metal applications require forging/heat treating to get the desired properties (ex bearings and races).

Home AM might cut into the delivery business for drink coasters, cast-iron pans, door hinges, and metal shelf brackets, but anything else is a very long way off.