View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 07:22 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
It's not a big can of worms at all. How would I recommend differentiating between "SIC" and "IRO?" I wouldn't.

The IRO is a SIC. Log it as SIC. No explanation needed.

A typical augented crew on an ACMI flight may, for example, have three F/O's assigned as SIC on a long trip, and one captain. The captain is the PIC designated in the flight release, and remains so. The F/O may sit in the pilot seat, may run a plotting chart on an ocoeanic lega and make the HF calls, or do other duties, or may sit in either the right or left seats during the flight. Typically every F/O is qualified to be IRO, sitting in either right or left seats. He or she is an assigned member of the crew on the flight release, performing duty, restricted by the same flight and duty limitations, subject to the same legal enforcement as other members of the crew, must file the same ASAP report as the rest of the crew, and is an SIC for the purposes of the flight and the assignment of the flight by the 121 operator. How to describe one's experience for the duration of the flight? SIC.

If two or even three captains are assigned together to a flight, one is the designated PIC, listed as such on the flight release, and responsible for the safe outcome, and for signing for the flight. He or she is the PIC, and logs it as such. The other captains may log SIC. The fact that they're captains is irrelevant. They're not the pilot in command. Whether they are "Captains," "IRO's," or "First Officers," They're not the PIC on the release: they're a SIC. Log accordingly.

There's nothing to explain.
Yeah that's what I've been saying, all the other guys who are not the PIC of record log SIC when doing crew duty, but the question was what about bunk time? My assertion was that the PIC can log all flight time because he's the PIC at all times, but if there are multiple SIC's should they log bunk time?

I bring this up because I've heard anecdotally that it's been a friction point with some hiring people, at two single-fleet LCCs that I know of.