View Single Post
Old 03-04-2021, 08:29 AM
PhuchtheFAA
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by 123494 View Post
I don’t know if I could do this job if I had to commute. You’re only 25 mins from the airport and you love where you live, and you’re home a lot. A lot of people would call you crazy to give that up! If your primary goal is to get to a better airline ASAP, then you can make the case that you should be flying as much as possible, hence moving to a busier base. As far as the boredom goes, try a new hobby or travel more.
Based on the amount of time OP has been as SkyWest and assuming they are an FO, are you saying if an FO wants to move to a better airline sooner is to fly a lot more? If I am enjoying my QOL as an FO on reserve, would it not be beneficial to cool off on the flying (as to not build too much total time), and wait to fly a lot more once upgraded to CA (figured PIC time is more important than SIC/Total time)?

I am also currently in DTW, and have all the hours to upgrade. I could have also gone to the ERJ as a FO, but my feeling is upgrades will still occur 1st on CRJ. I did not want to move bases for transition if I am going to have move again (most likely) once upgraded to CA on the CRJ. Despite being on reserve, I am trying to enjoy the slower pace of life and being with family while I can before flying picks back up. I know the feeling of boredom, but try to pick up trips out of base to change it up from time to time (extra cash helps too).