View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 11:11 AM
Excargodog
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Minepza View Post
I’m not an expert but the virus usually takes days to show up. If you pass someone it doesn’t mean you’re going to get sick right then and there. I’m wondering why now, why didn’t they set this up early last year already. I can’t think of too many other professions where we put ourselves at risk than flight crew. The pilots especially since most don’t wear the mask, not that it matters, and you’re sort of just trusting the other person wasn’t partying it up in a COVID party before the trip. When I hear about this, I’m not thinking what hotel am I supposed to get when I test positive and who pays for my Uber. I’m thinking it would be nice to know the other person was infected.
Except screening now that the disease is at low prevalence won’t give you meaningful information:

https://www.medmastery.com/guide/cov...vailable-tests

Currently the US is reporting less than 10 million active COVID cases and dropping, out of a population of 330 million. But that’s only 68,000 newly diagnosed cases a day out of 330 million individuals. That incidence of new cases skews the predictive value positive even lower.

This is simply a bad idea, and the fact that people in government making decisions are ignorant enough to suggest it is actually pretty frightening. What else must they be screwing up if they are that ignorant? This isn’t a political thing or even an economic thing but basic science that has been well established since 1763.